BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION

Home

Thứ Bảy, 3 tháng 11, 2012

ABVERBIAL CLAUSE OF TIME -Mệnh đề trạng ngữ chỉ thời gian


ABVERBIAL CLAUSE OF TIME

A. Mệnh đề trạng ngữ chỉ thời gian (Adverbial clause of time / Time-clause) thường được kết hợp với mệnh đề chính bằng các liên từ thời gian (conjunctions of time) sau:
When, while, as, as soon as, until/til, after, before, since, once, whenever, the moment, no sooner…than, hardly…when
B. Use of tenses in the Time-clause: Chúng ta có thể phân biệt cách dùng thì trong mệnh đề chỉ thời gian theo 3 nhóm sau:
1. Main clause (Present simple) + Time clause (Present simple, present progressive or present perfect)
I normally stay at hom when it rains
* Cả hai mệnh đề đều dùng thì hiện tại đơn để chỉ một thói quen ở hiện tại
He usually sings aloud when he is having a bath.
* Mệnh đề chỉ thời gian dùng với thì hiện tại tiếp diễn dùng để chỉ tính liên tục của hành động.
He only goes out for a walk after he has had dinner.
Or: He only goes out for a walk after he has dinner.
* Mệnh đề thời gian dùng với thì hiện tại hoàn thành để nhấn mạnh sự hoàn tất của một hành động.

2. Main clause (Future tenses) + Time clause (Present simple or present perfect)
- I’m going to wait until you finish work
- I am going to wait until you have finished work.
- We will go until you finish work.
- We will go until you have finished work.
* Mệnh đề chính: Thì tương lai.
* Mệnh đề thời gian: có thể dùng thì hiện tại đơn hoặc hiện tại hoàn thành.
- The film will have already begun by the time we get to the cinema.
* Mệnh đề chính: Thì tương lai hoàn thành để chỉ việc gì sẽ hoàn tất trước một việc gì khác trong tương lai.
* Mệnh đề thời gian: Thường dùng với thì hiện tại đơn.

3. Main clause (past simple, past progressive or past perfect) + time clause (past simple, past progressive, or past perfect)
- She became speechless whenever she met a stranger.
- I usually felt cold when I was afraid.
* Cả hai mệnh đề dùng thì quá khứ đơn để chi một thói quen trong quá khứ.
- The sun was shining when we arrived there.
- The accident happened while he was driving home.
* Mệnh đề chính: dùng thì quá khứ tiếp diễn, để nói điều gì đang diễn ra thì một việc khác làm gián đoạn.
- My wife was cooking while I was looking after the baby.
- As the man was running away, the dog was chasing him.
* Cả hai mệnh đề đều dùng thì quá khứ tiếp diễn để chỉ hai hành động cùng đồng thời diễn ra trong khoảng thời gian.
- When I arrived, Anne made a cup of tea.
* Hai mệnh đề đều dùng thì quá khứ đơn để diễn tả hai hành động kế tiếp nhau (= khi tôi đến thì Ann mới đi pha trà).
- When / Before I arrived, Anne had made some biscuits.
Or: Anne had made some biscuits when/before I arrived.
* Mệnh đề chính dùng thì quá khứ hoàn thành để nói một hành động đã hoàn tất trước một hành động khác trong quá khứ (=Khi tôi đến thì Anne đã làm xong bánh qui).


* Chú ý: Khi dùng since, chúng ta thường dùng thì trong hai mệnh đề như sau: Main clause (present perfect) + Time clause (past simple).
Ví dụ:
-         Tommy has made good progress since he came to this school.
-         I have been feeling better since since I took that medicin.
-         Since she graduated from college, she has changed her job three times.

Các ví dụ khác với mệnh đề thời gian:
-         I still feel tired when I wake up in the morning.
-         His hands shake whenever he takes a photo.
-         When he arrives, he’ll tell us about the plan.
-         I’ll lend you this book when I have finished it.
-         The moment/ As soon as I know the result, I’ll call you.
-         He had an accident while he was driving to work.
-         He didn’t go home until he had finished his work.
-         They were quarreling as they were driving home.
Chú ý:
a) Hầu hết các thì đều được dùng trong mệnh đề thời gian, ngoại trừ các thì tương lai (future tenses).
Ví dụ:
-         I’ll ask Brian about this when I meet him tomorrow.
(Not: I’ll ask Brian about this when I will meet him tomorrow.)
-         Lily intended to tell Gary the truth when she saw him the next day.
(Not: Lily intended to tell Gary the truth when she would see him the next day).

b) Chúng ta dùng thì quá khứ đơn đối với mệnh đề thời gian sau SINCE trong cấu trúc: It is + Time + since + Subject + Past simple.
Ví dụ:
-         It’s ages since I enjoyed myself so much.
(= I haven’t enjoyed myself so much for ages)
-         It’s ten years since I last visited my hometown.
(= I haven’t visited my hometown for ten years)
Đôi khi người ta cũng dùng thì hiện tại hoàn thành sau SINCE trong cấu trúc này.
Ví dụ:
-         It’s ages since I have enjoyed myself so much.

c) No sooner…thanHardly …when: Chúng ta thường dùng thì quá khứ hoàn thành trong mệnh đề chính và thì quá khứ đơn trong mệnh đề thời gian với no sooner…than / hardly…when.
Ví dụ:
-         She had no sooner drunk the coffee than she began to feel drowsy.
-         I had hardly turned on my computer when there was a power cut.
Chúng ta cũng có thể dùng thì hiện tại đơn với no sooner…than / hardly…when để diễn tả thói quen hoặc việc thường xuyên xảy ra.
Ví dụ:
-         They no sooner stop a quarrel than they start a new one.
-         He hardly makes any money when he spends it on gambling.
Chú ý: Hardly có thể được thay thế bằng scarcely hoặc barely, nhưng không thông dụng lắm.
Ví dụ:
-         He had scarcely/ barely bought a new cellphone when he got it lost.

Không có nhận xét nào :

Đăng nhận xét